Saturday, January 1, 2011

Japanese New Years Food: Osechi-ryōri 御節料理

One of the greatest things about living in Japan is the food. I simply love Japanese cuisine, known in Japanese as "Nihon ryori" 日本料理. I suppose the fact that I have a family with some wonderful cooks also helps.

Today was January 1, 2011 and for the first time in my three years in Japan we didn't go to Nishinomiya Shrine for Hatsumode 初詣 . Instead, my wife, son and I went to spend the afternoon with my in-laws in Osaka. We took the train to their house to eat a traditional New Years meal known as Osechi-ryōri 御節料理 or お節料理. my mother-in-law had prepared some food and ordered some as well. We also filled ourselves with Sukiyaki すき焼き.

After an amazing meal and too much of it, we rolled back to Kobe. The amazing thing is that my in-laws had ordered an Osechi-ryori set for us to eat tomorrow. It is brilliant looking and the pictures will come tomorrow.

Enjoy some of the Osechi-ryori from today!














I hope everyone had a wonderful time last night ringing in the new year with family and friends. I stayed at home with my family and watched the NHK New Years special, Kōhaku Uta Gassen 紅白歌合戦. It may not have been the most exciting thing to do, but I had a wonderful time.

2 comments:

Punky Bunny Blog said...

Yummy but i wonder whats that pink things hehe

Anonymous said...

Personally i could not get used to all in one month, i was there for almost 2 and the basic food is nice liked, I'm not chinese, but i love chinese food very much and i always cooked like that, because in xl pharmacy there's a chinese friend and she teach how to, because she was raised in the old way, but she left her parents home when they told her that she must had a chinese husband haha very sad.