Sunday, May 31, 2009

The quiet seaside

It's been awhile since I've posted. I've recently started a new Japanese language class and have been back to work after the "Kobe Swine Flu Hysteria"!


KOBE INFLUENZA UPDATE: As I mentioned in some previous posts. It was all hype and hysteria. Things are pretty much back to normal and almost no one is wearing masks now. Finished! Hopefully the local businesses will recover quickly. The local economy took quite a hit recently since so many folks in Kobe were hiding under their table,crying with masks on; afraid of a relatively weak form of the flu!



Recently I was on a field trip with my class to the seaside in the small city of Akashi. Akashi is located between Kobe and Himeji and is a quiet little fishing city. We were hanging around the waterfront drawing pictures of the fishing boats.

If you've ever wondered what a Japanese fishing boat looks like, here's your chance! It was cool to see lots of great blue herons strutting about on the bows of the various draggers and long liners. What I found the most interesting (especially since I grew up in a fishing town in Canada) was how remarkably "unseaworthy" these fishing boats looked! Honestly, I don't think I'd be caught dead on any of them going out to sea. They looked as if they were about to sink right there.







Here's a little video I filmed yesterday. just another "odd" thing I noticed while going about my daily business!

Human Damage Accident?!

1 comment:

Tyler said...

That is so cool! I've always been really interested in Japanese fishing boats!