Sunday, August 26, 2012

Weird Japan: Goya Dry Beer?

Japan is a country known for many things, one of them being strange beverages. Every summer, Pepsi comes out with weird and occasionally wonderful limited time flavours. Breweries make limited time beers and a walk through any convenience store in Japan will leaving you happy and confused while looking at the overall beverage selection.

A few days ago I wandered into a Lawson convenience store here in Kobe and was shocked to see Goya Beer on the shelve. Goya or "bitter melon" in English, is an extremely bitter vegetable that I am not particularly fond of, is used to give the beer a bitter edge.

I chose not to buy the beer. if you dislike goya as much as I do, you probably would have as well.




Since I didn't buy a can, I can't tell you how it tastes. I do however have a coworker who fancies himself a "beer afficiando" and he said it "Tastes like barf!"

If you are wondering, Goya Dry is made by Helios Distillery Co. in Okinawa, Japan.


You can find me on Twitter: @jlandkev



6 comments:

Jackofallhobbies said...

I almost feel like daring you to make another bad beer review with Kansai PJ.
However, you're probably right.... life is too short to drink terrible beer.

gaijinwife said...

OMG - that is heinous. Who would put Goya with Beer? Why? make yourself feel like you are making a healthy, if not barf worthy, experience. Yuk. Glad you didn't waste your money :)

Blue Shoe said...

Interesting! A friend of mine was in Japan a couple months ago and sent me pictures of tomato beer. Wish I had seen/sampled some of these weird flavors when I was over there!

Akazuki Japanese goods shop said...

I tried and I have to say iot tastes AWFUL but for Goya you should try with tuna and mayo!

Jackofallhobbies said...

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Kevin.

Unknown said...

I really appreciate your post and you explain each and every point very well. Thanks for sharing this information. And I’ll love to read your next post too.

catering service in manila